Wednesday, February 27, 2008

One Week From Today

A week from today Ethan will be having his surgery. I am nervous about how he is going to be after the surgery. I have a feeling that it is not going to be a happy stay at the hospital. He has been very whiny lately. I know that it is part of him being three now. Hannah was the same way. I have a feeling that it will just be intensified after the surgery.

He has three different shots that he has to get that he did not get in China. I know that chicken pox and hep A are two of them. He has an appointment to get those tomorrow. I told Greg to ask if they can just do the hep A tomorrow and wait on the others until after his surgery. I do not want to take a chance at him having a negative reaction to the chicken pox vaccine. If he does and has not recovered by Wednesday they would probably reschedule the surgery. That would probably mean he would not have it done until June. He cannot wait that long. He should have already had this surgery done.

That makes me wonder. Why does China not go ahead and do the palate repairs while the children are over there. I mean come on the are a communist country that provides healthcare for their citizens don't they. Our plastic surgeon said that the surgery is usually done by the time they turn one year old here in the states. They don't want their speech to be affected. This makes me wish that I was able to have gone to med school and become a surgeon. then I would have been able to go over and do the surgeries for free. I have talked with Greg about donating to Operation Smiles so we can help some other children.

6 comments:

Amy Button said...

I'm praying for little Ethan. It's such a big thing for a little guy to have to deal with. I'm praying for you guys and strength for all of this.

~verna said...

Hi Pam,
I wish they could do those surgeries over there too. Our guide said that in Wuhan, when the parents realize the cost of the medical need and that they can't afford it, that is when they decide to abandon. Then the kids spend so much time waiting to be placed. It's so sad. I agree, it would be nice to be able to go over and help. The only way I can help at this time is Love without boundaries or Half the sky. Ethan will do well with his surgery and you will bond through this difficult time. Hugs to you and prayers too. ~v

Nikki said...

Prayers going up for Ethan -- for all of his shots and his surgery too.
(praying for the rest of you as well.)
XO

Anonymous said...

Prayers for little Ethan and you as you wait for his surgery. This is such a difficult thing to go thru with a child but God will be with you. I'll pray for a quick recovery for him, too.

Steffie B. said...

We will keep you in our prayers....I agree with you about the surgeries. let me know if you find amything out about donating!
Hugs...
S*

Kristi said...

Ethan and your family will remain in our prayers. May everyone stay healthy and the surgery go as planned. Surgery is hard on kids but we know the end result and what a blessing for Ethan to finally be all he deserves to be, what a trooper he has been and will continue to be! Love and prayers,Kristihen